Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Most Delicious Bran Muffins Ever!

I realize that the title of this post may seem a little contradictory. "Delicious" and "Bran Muffins" aren't usually in the same sentence, but trust me, my dear friends. These. Are. To. Die. For.  My mom used to make them all the time when I was younger. Now I make them in my mini-cupcake maker so they're all cute and little and easy for me to grab and eat in the car on my way to work.

So, without further ado, here is how you make the most delicious bran muffins eva!

You will need:
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • 5 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 cup shortening
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 5 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 quart buttermilk
  • 4 cups All-Bran
  • 2 cups Bran Flakes
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts

    NOTE: the buttermilk can be substituted for applesauce to make apple bran muffins, if you so desire. (Also delicious)

Combine water & baking soda; stir until dissolved. Cool.
In a mixing bowl cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Combine flour & salt, then add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Mix well.
Beat in the water/soda mixture.
Fold in cereals and nuts. Fill greased or paper lined muffin cups three-fourths full.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until muffins test done.
*Mixture will keep in refrigerator for one week*
Which, to me may be the best part. There are technically only two people living at my house, so if it's just me and my sweetie, then I only have to make a couple at a time. Brilliant, eh?
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Made your muffins today - thumbs up from me, Scott, Cy and Cole!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete