Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Canine Cookie Jar

Can I just tell you how much I love that I am the "Go-to Gal" when it comes to people dejunking their houses? They either are too emotionally attached to their things to throw them out completely, or I am assuming they know that I love to snazzy-up old out-dated yuckies. A lot of the things in my house are hand-me-downs or "up-cycled" from garage sales, the DI or KSL. Guess what? I'm super proud of it.

Case in point:

This cheesy lovely canister - once belonging to a whole set (which, God knows where the other canisters in the set are) that resided on my Grandmothers kitchen countertop. Now, the cheese stands alone.

I thought about changing the color scheme of my kitchen to match...but decided better of it.
The shape of this canister was nice, and I knew that with a little TLC it could be wonderful again.

So, I primed it and painted it in hopes of starting with a blank white canvas. Sadly, it was just not meant to be. The chicken, eggs and flowers are not just painted on, but they are etched into the ceramic so even though the canister was all white, you could still see the patterns beneath.

I covered the canister in scrapbook paper, knowing that it was going to be used for doggy treats it would probably never be run through the dishwasher. (I keep my dog treats in zip loc baggies to keep them from drying out...and keep the stink in). I added a few little buttons, and before I knew it, I had a masterpiece on my hands.


"Houndstooth" for my dog treats...get it?! :)

I still haven't been able to make the lid cute enough to match the bottom, so as of now this is an open-top treat jar. I will let you know if that changes later. As of right now? This is great enough for me (and Toby, and Boozer)!

No comments:

Post a Comment